Monday, May 15, 2006

 

More random thoughts

1) My friend Keith links to Daniel Negreanu's blog in his own blog about playing poker in Vegas. Here's Keith's blog which I think is about 100 times better than Negreanu's.

My point here is not to plug Keith, but rather to say how appauled I was to read Negreanu's recent posts. He writes like a 14-year old girl. LOL! Oh my god! We went to Nine at eight! Like, oh my god, totally.

Some sports channel has a poker promo on now that I always see which ends with a clip of Negreanu winning a pot and saying "yes!" with the wussiest lisp I've ever heard from a heterosexual celebrity. I think Negreanu is a fantastic poker player, but dude, think about having a testosterone injection. You're embarrassing yourself.

2) I was driving in Central Jersey today and saw an enormous vulture feasting on a dead deer on the side of the road. I love that I live in the Serengeti. I just learned last week that there is a wildlife refuge about 6 minutes from my apartment. Insane. 55 minutes from the biggest metropolis in the country, and you live in a zoo.

3) The best part of having the baseball package is that I get to see Bernie and Phyl commercials when I watch the Red Sox games. Local furniture commercials are part of the fabric of American society. When Bernie and Phyl stop doing commercials, the terrorists win.

4) Studio 61 will be a hit for NBC, and I will try to watch. This sounds like the first good new show NBC has had in 6 years.

5) Speaking of new shows on NBC, I just watched two episodes of the British version of the Office again yesterday, and there is absolutely no comparison to the American version. The British version is about 100 magnitudes funnier than the American show. The show does a better job of capturing only slightly exaggerated awkwardness than any I've ever seen. Gervais playing off why his employees don't like him is genius every time. "Ah, kissed everyone else but me. Sets boundries. Good head on her shoulders. Didn't want things to get awkward." Really, just watch the episode where he is approached to be a motivational trainer...if you think the show is even close to the American version after seeing that episode, well, I have no use for you as a human being.

Comments:
I haven't read Negreanu's blog in several months. There are much better poker blogs written by ... almost every known poker player. I don't know why I still link to Negreanu and not those others. Maybe I'll spend some time on my links later.

I actually like the US version of The Office a lot, but it took a while to grow on me because, as you say, it doesn't measure up to the original. I can, however, understand more of what the characters are saying in the American version, which is a big plus. Using subtitles on the British version is the way to go.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?