Sunday, March 26, 2006

 

Welcome back, Carlos?

"My friend," Carlos Pena, was released yesterday by the Detroit Tigers. Knowing nothing about the situation, I am going on record to predict that the Red Sox will sign him to a contract. The Sox could use the first base depth and will enjoy Pena's smooth left-handed swing at Fenway. Plus, the Sox can sign guys and not bat an eye over the money, so Pena should mean nothing to the payroll. And he's local, having played his college baseball at Northeastern.

I once interviewed Carlos Pena at an event called "Team Harmony," which used to be held at the old Fleet Center (can't remember what they call it now) in Boston. Pena was a senior at Northeastern and the kids TV show I was on wanted me to interview him.

I was quickly given a microphone, and the executive producer said "Go!". The cameras went on, and there I was, interviewing a smiley 20-year old whose identity I was not familiar with.

That's not totally accurate--I knew Pena played baseball for Northeastern. But after that...nothing. I didn't know what position he played or anything about him.

And so began one of the most awkward 5 minute interviews I had in my illustrious 4 year run as kid sports reporter. I tried thinking of the most vague questions possible, trying as hard as possible to seem like I knew who I was talking to. I also tried to get as much information about him as I could on the fly..."So, did you play a lot of positions growing up, Carlos? How did you end up where you are now?"

After five minutes, I was exhausted and said a silent prayer of thanks that I didn't just break down half way through and blurt out, "I HAVE NO IDEA WHO YOU ARE!"

But apparently, my obviously awkward questions made quite an impression on Carlos, who either thought a) I was a 'Make a Wish' case or b) my questions were well-suited to his broken English (i.e. he could understand what I was asking). For some bizarre reason, he seemed to really like me...(A c) answer is that he had never been interviewed before and d) is that he had never been interviewed by a 16-year old before).

It turns out that Carlos was going to be the studio guest on our show three weeks later. It was a very slow week.

Carlos made me promise that I'd be at the studio during his guest appearance. I said, "sure!"...I actually had no idea if I'd be on that particular show. But since I was absolutely sure he'd not remember the conversation three weeks later (or who I was) and because his English was mediocre, I figured "sure!" was a better answer than "well, Carlos, it depends on how the producers would like to rotate the various kids on this show..."

Three weeks later, Carlos is on the show, and I am not. I think nothing of it, besides a quick thought as to how strange Pena's query/request that I be at the show was.

The following week, I was back on the show. The executive producer handed me a note..."Carlos Pena left this for you..."

She handed me a sticky note. It said something like, "Dear Alex. You said you would come. You were not here. You disappointed me. Your friend, Carlos."

I still have the note and have frequently picked up Carlos Pena in fantasy baseball since that occurrence (the opposite of the Brady Anderson story, really...).

So, come on, Theo. Carlos will bring another World Series. That short porch in right is perfect for the sweet swing of...whoever this guy is.

Comments:
This is roughly the 83rd time I have heard/read this story.

-Ben
 
That story is awesome! And somehow...I'm not sure I heard it before...that's what I get for failing in fantasy baseball
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?